Understand Us

Wednesday 3 June 2020


For someone who had to be educated in a westernized, white-washed school environment, it was hard for me to sit in History or English literature class and learn & discuss the history and lives of "Henry The 8th, Queen Victoria, The Romans, The Tudors, Shakesphere, Charles Dickens..etc without getting bored.

It left me wondering about black people's historic efforts to change the world, as well as my own roots in Sudan. Even though the internet was somewhat helpful, I had to resort to either asking my parents and various family members a million questions about our roots, watching as many tv shows and movies, which had enough black representation to discover more and most importantly searching for as many books and literature on black history, influential figures in history and modern-day authors to help me understand the world we live in today.

By doing so, it gave me a vast archive of resources to go back to and share with like-minded individuals.

So here are just a few titles of various books, tv shows and movies to help understand the black struggle a little bit more;

Top reads 











Netflix Specials








TV- Shows










Best Movie Choices

Early days of Slavery;






Romance 










Police Brutality and Injustice










Strong Black Women 








Artistic Direction 









Make sure you pass this on to others and let's educate and restore justice and peace around us. 
Also, feel free to tag me or message me on Instagram >> (@azza_urbanista) if you would like more recommendations.

Posted By Urbanista ( Azza Gasim)
Follow me on Twitter/Instagram (@azza_urbanista)

No comments